Adult Classes and Programs at the Main Library
December 2016 - February 2017
Winter Program and Events
- WPL Resources for Genealogy with Joy Hennig Saturday, February 4, 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Saxe Room
- I Found My Village! Now What?: Locating Vital Records in Poland Using Online Resources with Julie Roberts Szcepankiewicz, Saturday, March 4
Connecting with Social Services
- City Services Q & A Thursdays, January 26, February 9 & 23, and March 9 from 3 - 4 p.m. Second Floor
- CORI Sealing Workshop with EPOCA Thursdays, March 30, April 27, May 25 1 - 2 p.m. Banx Room
- Legal Assistance w/Community Legal Aid's CORI and Re-Entry Project Wednesdays, March 8, April 12, May 10, 2:30 - 4pm. Second Floor
Community and Culture Events
- Community Consultation Forum on Immigration Law Tuesday, February 28, 6-9pm
- Consulta Comunitaria sobre las Leyes de Inmigración Martes, Febrero 28, 6-9pm
- Latinos of Worcester Exhibit and Discovery Day Saturday, March 4, 2:30-5:00pm
Small Business Series
- Steps to Starting a Business Tuesday, March 7, April 4 & May 2 from 1 - 2:30 p.m.
- Business Plan Basics Tuesday, March 21, April 11 & May 9 from 1 - 2:30 p.m.
- Rock Your Business with Government Contracting Tuesday, March 14 from 1 - 3 p.m.
For more information about our small business resources and to register for our Small Business programs, please visit our Small Business Workshops page
TUESDAYS - Business and Research Assistance
SCORE Small Business Counseling, First Tuesday of the month, 4:30-8:30pm, 3rd fl. study room One-hour sessions with a SCORE counselor for those planning to start a business.
English Conversation Circles, Tuesdays, 5:30-7:00pm, Banx (Drop-in) Join us to practice speaking English in a relaxed, comfortable place, and meet new friends as we learn by talking together.
Introductory Genealogy and Local History Research Assistance(one-on-one), 1st & 3rd Tuesdays, 5:30-7:30pm, 3rd fl. desk
One-hour appointment with Genealogy & Local History librarian. Provide at least one week’s lead time for specific topics to allow librarian sufficient time to prepare.
- Small Business, Non-Profit Grant Research, and Personal Investment Resources Assistance (one-on-one), 2nd & 4th Tuesdays, 5:30-7:30pm, 2nd fl. Desk One-hour appointments with the Business and Grant Resources Librarian. Tuesdays, January 10 & 24: February 14 & 28.
Worcester Writer’s Group, 2nd Tuesday of the month, 7-9pm Talking Books Room Are words your passion? Worcester Writer’s Group may be of interest to you. Read more at http://www.meetup.com/writers-858/
WEDNESDAYS - Citizenship, Resume and Writing, Tech and Book Discussion
Self Help Spirituality Book Club, Second Wednesday of the month, 7:30-8:30, Talking Books Room A book club for people seeking direction on the road to life. All are welcome. Call ahead to reserve your book.Titles: Dec. 14: Help, Thanks, Wow - Anne Lamott:, Jan. 11: The Prophet - Khalil Gibran, Feb. 8: We are the Ones We Have Been Waiting For - Alice Walker. Call to reserve your copy, or pick one up at the Main Library.
Citizenship Classes, Wednesdays, 5:30-7:30, Banx (Drop-in) Covers U.S. Citizenship test material. Participants must be 18 or older and be able to speak and understand English.
Resume Critique and Writing Assistance, Wednesdays, 5:30-7:30, 2nd fl. desk Bring your resume and/or cover letter for review. Receive help editing your research paper or other documents less than ten pages.
Tech Help, Wednesdays, 5:30-6:30, 3rd fl. lab (Drop- in) Get extra help with your job applications and Microsoft Word documents. Learn to set up a library or email account, or download eBooks and eAudiobooks.
Great Books! Discussion Group, 1st Wednesday of the month, 7-9, Talking Books Room Join us in a discussion of classics. Reserve your copy today! December 7 A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving January 4 The Memoirs of a Survivor - Doris Lessing February 1 The Stories of Eva Luna - Isabel Allende
THURSDAYS – Crafts
Take a Break Thursdays, Thursdays, 3 pm - 5 pm Saxe (Drop-in) Join us for knitting, coloring and more creative fun! For ages 16 and up.
FRIDAYS - Technology
Computer & Internet for Beginners, Fridays 9:30-10:30, 3rd fl. lab This class will build your basic computer skills by working with the mouse and keyboard, and by practicing basic computer searches.Third Floor Lab Sign up at the 2rd floor desk or call 508-799-1655 x3.
Laboratorio Abierto (Open lab in Spanish), Fridays 11:30-12:30, 3rd fl. Lab Para todos lo que necesitan ayuda usando dispositivos electrónicos. Te enseñamos hacer lo que quieres en la computadora (búsquedas, Facebook, correo electrónico, escritura de resume, programas de Microsoft como Word o Excel) o tu teléfono.
eBook Help (Drop-in) Get help downloading free library eBooks to your eReader or Smartphone. Bring your device or ask about our devices available to check out.
Lynda.com Online Learning Courses. Use the Lynda.com Kiosk on the 2nd floor to accessover 40,000 video tutorials on Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Quickbooks, business skills and more.
Adult Classes and Programs- Calendar and Flyers (Printable Versions)