Borrow a Telescope
Welcome to our telescope lending service. Thanks to the Aldrich Astronomical Society’s Library Telescope Program, Worcester Public Library is now able to provide a loaner telescope to our patrons. The goal of the Library Telescope Program is to help foster scientific literacy, stimulate an interest in astronomy, and provide people who have never looked through a telescope, the chance to experience the excitement that comes from discovery.
The WPL Orion Starblast Telescope is to be used for viewing astronomical events, learning more about our solar system and the stars, developing a greater appreciation for the earth’s place in the universe, and for fun.
• Patrons must be age 18 and over and have valid photo identification.
• Patrons must have a borrowing history of at least 3 months and a WPL library account in good standing (i.e. not blocked by fines of $10.00 or more).
Loan Period, Fines and Fees
• The telescope will circulate for two weeks
• Telescope must be picked up from and returned to the Welcome Desk at the main branch
• Telescope may not be renewed
• A fee of $5 per day will be levied for every day telescope is overdue
• Fees will be assessed for damaged, lost, or stolen items. Please see the WPL Telescope Borrowing Agreement Form for a list of specific fees.
• Patron accepts full financial liability for the telescope and agrees to pay all costs associated with the damage to, loss of, or theft of the telescope.
• Patron agrees to inform library staff regarding any issues with items (broken pieces, dead batteries, cosmetic damage, lost items, etc)
• Patron will not attempt to alter the structure or any of the equipment of the telescope or any of the contents within the container.
• Patron will take responsibility for reading instruction manual and guide for how to properly use telescope
• Patron will be sure to power down any battery power source on the telescope when returning the telescope.