Newspapers and Magazines
The Library’s collection of over 400 magazines and over 50 newspapers can be found in the Periodicals area on the 3rd floor.
Magazines holdings include:
• Selected popular magazines – on display in the Periodicals area on the 3rd floor.
• Circulating large-type (LT) magazines - on display in the Periodicals area on the 3rd floor.
• Non-English language magazines - on display in the International Languages area on the 1st floor.
• Current issues are on display in the Periodicals area.
• Earlier issues may be requested at the Periodicals desk.
• 19th and early 20th C magazines may be requested at the Periodicals Desk.
Newspaper holdings include:
• Sunday papers: from New England capital cities and major US cities.
• Daily newspapers: Worcester Telegram & Gazette, Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Investor’s Business Daily, New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal and many more.
• Some Worcester County town newspapers (weekly)
Non-English language newspapers and magazines:
• On display in the International Languages area on the 1st floor.
On-line magazines and newspapers:
The proquest newspaper index covers several newspapers and among them are Worcester Telegram (1989 – current) and Boston Globe (1980 – current).
• Newspapers (full text)
Some Worcester County town newspapers are located in the Local History and Genealogy area on the 3rd floor.
There are four microfilm machines in the Periodicals area for patrons to use. Patrons may either print the articles or email it to themselves from the Scanpro machines. In addition to others, the following popular newspapers are available on microfilm.
- Worcester Telegram (morning issue): 1886 – current
- Worcester Evening Gazette: January 1886 – April 1989
- Boston Globe: January 1959 – March 2014
- New York Times: September1851 – May 2014
- Wall Street Journal: January 1925 – April 2014
Indexes provide subject access to over 500 magazines and newspapers:
• Online Gale indexes articles from hundreds of magazines and journals.
• Print indexes provide access to several magazines in a variety of topics including 19th & 20th Century indexes.
• Reader’s Guide includes topics from Art, Applied Science, Business, Library Literature and more.