Borrow a Hotspot
Welcome to our Hotspot lending service. To adhere with the Library’s mission to make information accessible to everyone, the Worcester Public Library has two broadband mobile hotspots available for loan. You may borrow the device to access the Internet for free at your home, in your car, or anywhere else!
1. You must have an email address on file in order to place holds because you will be notified by email when your item is available. If you do not have an email address listed on your library record, please call the library at 508-799-1655 and ask the librarian to add your email address to your account before you place a request for a device.
2. Read through the below information and the WPL E-Reader and Hotspot Agreement first.
3. Go to library catalog to search for the device of your choice and to place a hold.
Use “Worcester Hotspot” as the keyword to locate it in the catalog. Once you locate the item, click on “place hold” on the right and then proceed with your request. The hotspots are available for pick up at the main library only and cannot be sent out on loan to other libraries. The check-out limit is one device per household at any time.
When you come to the Library to check out the device, you will be asked to complete the WPL E-Reader and Hotspot Agreement, acknowledging financial responsibility for lost or damaged equipment.
Who can borrow a library hotspot?
• Any Worcester public library card holder 18 years and older
• Patron must be in good standing (i.e. library account is not blocked due to unpaid fees or lost materials) with at least a three month borrowing history can check out a hotspot
• Patron must provide a current photo ID to validate against patron record
• The library reserves the right to refuse service to anyone who abuses equipment or is repeatedly late in returning e-readers or hotspots
How do I use the hotspot?
Click here, for instructions on how to use your hotspot.
Where do I return the hotspot when I am done?
The hotspot cannot be placed in the bookdrops and must be returned to the checkout desk. A designated staff person will do a visual check to ensure that the device and accessories are returned in good condition.
How long can I keep the hotspot?
You can keep it for 14 days.
Can I renew my hotspot?
No. You are not allowed to renew at this time.
What are late return fines?
Fines are $5 a day, beginning on the second day overdue.
What happens if I lose it?
The cardholder will be charged for any hotspot or accessory not returned to the library or returned damaged:
Note: If hotspot is not returned to the library when it is due, wireless service will be disconnected and the hotspot will be unusable. International roaming is not available on Library hotspots