e-Books and Digital Media
e-Books, Audiobooks and e-Video
If you would like to read a book on your Kindle, Nook, Sony, iPhone, iPad, Android phone, or other e-reader, smart phone or computer, start with OverDrive. Use your Worcester Public Library card to log in. If you'd like to check out one of the library's e-readers please click here.
OverDrive: ebooks, audiobooks & video
1. Instructions for ebooks: all devices| Nook| Kindle eReader | Kindle Fire
2. Instructions for MP3 Audiobooks
3. Overdrive FAQ
4. Guided Tour: online tutorials
5. Overdrive Help
- Axis 360: popular fiction and nonfiction, 3 titles, 14 days, 1 renewal, 5 holds (Getting started with Axis 360 | Axis 360 Support | Axis 360 FAQ)
- Biblioboard: primary sources, historical documents, images and video, and self-published and public domain materials, unlimited simultaneous use (Biblioboard General Help)
- EBL: a web-based ebook collection of mostly-nonfiction, academic and research titles, short-term loan, accissible for 24 once downloaded, but can be downlloaded again (EBL Help)
Over 25,000 e-book titles in a variety of subjects and topics, including social sciences, language, literature, science, technology, self-help, health and fitness, games, crafts and hobbies, medical, cooking and religion.
If you would like to download an audiobook to your mp3 player or your computer, start with OneClickdigital. (Use your Worcester Public Library card to log in.) You will need to create an account to log in.
1. Instructions for MP3 Audiobooks
3. Sign up for webinars to learn how to use the service.
4. Now, you can contact the patron support team at OneClickdigital directly with your questions. Contact them by phone at 1-877-77-AUDIO or by email.
5. For Mac users, see Mac instructions.
NOTE: If you currently download encrypted WMA titles using the OneClickdigital Media Manager or download encrypted eAudio manually (as Zip files) you will no longer be able to do so as of 7/13/2015.
If you would like to view tutorials for using OneClickDigital's Services on your device, please click here.
- Don't have a player? Borrow Playaway, portable players with preloaded full length audiobooks.
Streaming Movies, TV Shows, Music and Audiobooks
a Netflix-like service for library card holders, is a new way to stream and temporarily download movies, music and TV shows ,on demand and for free through the library. Content is always available without waitlists. No queues. No late fees. Instant access. Automatic returns.
•Limit: 4 items a month, resets 1st of the month
eBooks: check out for 21 days
•Movies & TV: check out for 3 days
•Music albums: 7 days
•Audiobooks: check out for 21 days
(You need to create an account first by clicking on Sign Up.)
This music download service offers hundreds of thousands of songs in the Sony Music catalog. You can download one song per week to your computer and then add the song to your personal music player.
Read Freegal FAQs to get started.
If you would like to listen to or read a book on your computer choose Tumblebooks.
Access 150+ animated, talking picture books, 90 language learning books, 37 TumbleReadables, and 22 audio books for preschools and elementary schools.
Read-alongs and chapter books for middle schools and high schools.
If you would like to do some research online, try the following (use your Worcester Public Library card to log in):
Free eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Books should be free: free audio books
- Classic reader: free, registration required
- DigitalBookIndex: 165,000 ebooks, etexts...
- eBooks@Adelaide: free web books
- Google Books: millions of books to preview or read
- Internet Archive: ebook, movies & music
- ManyBooks.net: over 26,000 titles
- Online Books Page
- Open Library
Project Gutenberg: 33,000 ebooks for downloading